We’re officially on the countdown… it’s almost time for goodbye 2019, and hello 2020! And that’s a perfect opportunity to review and plan for a new, exciting and profitable year in business. We’ve pulled together a few tips, to help you along the way and get you thinking:
REVIEW YOUR 2019
Taking a look back on how far you have come, your successes (and perhaps stumbles) is invaluable in helping you and your business continue to improve and move forward.
- What was your biggest success, and how can you replicate it?
- What was your best-selling product / service? (when you take a close look, the answer may surprise you!)
- Is there a trend with the type of new clients you have gained in 2019?
- Is there a trend in where your new clients have come from?
- Was there a big mistake, or something you felt could have gone better? If so, what can you learn from the experience, and put plans in place to stop a repetition.
REVIEW YOUR MARKETING
Consistency is key with marketing… They say your brand has to ‘touch’ someone 7 times before they buy into you/your product/services.
- Do you have a professional logo and consistent brand look to your materials? If not, this is an area to seriously consider investment.
- Do you have an online presence? In this day and age a website is not always essential, but being available online in someway is – social media is the answer…
- Remember not all social media channels will work well for all businesses. Choose your medium wisely, and make sure you have the right audience for your business.
- If social media scares you, take the time to look for some local courses – there are loads available, often for free if you look in the right places!
- What marketing channels have worked well for you in 2019 (Networking? Facebook? Instagram? Word of mouth?)
REVIEW THE PENNIES
They say look after the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves!
- Do you know ALL the costs for running your business? And do you have a target of how many customers you need to turn a profit against this?
- Have you got the right value on ‘Yourself’? Your time is valuable, make sure you are allowing a reasonable budget for any time you invest into your business.
- Consider investing in an accountant to help manage your money – your time is better spent on the things you do well (your business) than worrying and trying to manage the books!
- Are you paying for anything you simply don’t use, or use often enough to warrant the spend?
- Is there a purchase you can make for your business that would really streamline your production rate? Consider investment, even if it’s a bit of a stretch right now!
REVIEW YOUR TIME
First and foremost, we are parents! Trying to juggle a business and a family can often be tough, feeling like you are being pulled in all directions…
- Do you ‘set’ your working hours, or try to squeeze business into an already hectic day?
- Have you set realistic business goals that are achievable? Aiming too high can leave you feeling deflated in your efforts.
- Consider having 2 ‘to lists’. One for business and one for home, to make sure you are keeping on top of all the important chores!
- It’s easy to get caught up in the daily routine of family and business, make sure to take a ‘time out’ at least once a month and do something special for yourself.
- Make sure you take the time to appreciate your successes, no matter how small.
RESOLUTIONS / IDEAS FOR 2020
- Don’t take your customers for granted, make sure every single one is given your very best experience.
- Ask where new customers have come from (learn what marketing channels are working best for you).
- Encourage referrals from existing clients, and introduce a reward for making referrals.
- Be positive, and think BIG!
- Remember, everyone started somewhere… just keep going!
Here’s to a happy, prosperous and successful 2020!