I love baking, it’s my passion – which is why I started my business ‘What Katy Baked‘. The possibilities when making a bespoke cake for any special occasion are endless, which is why it’s helpful to have an idea of what you want from your cake before you start. Below are a few tips on things to consider:
- Budget: A bespoke cake will not cost the same as a supermarket cake. It takes many many hours of hard work to create each individual design and every cake is unique. I literally lie awake in bed at night thinking about how to make your cake fantastic! The bigger and more intricate the decorations, the more expensive it will be.
- Flavour: I’m happy to make a huge variety of delicious flavour combinations. Different flavours can have an impact on cost, so do bear in mind that some ingredients may cost more.
- Size: While these are only a guide these are the portion guides I follow. Of course if you want to cut bigger slices you will need more cake. I personally live in fear that there will not be enough cake. https://goo.gl/images/QoCJSw
- Design: It’s a good idea to have a browse on Pinterest or Google so you have something in mind. I can adapt any design to suit you and your budget, but I need to know what your budget is in order to do so.
- Dietary requirements: Vegan, egg and dairy and gluten free are all not a problem. However I do not keep an allergen free kitchen, neither is my kitchen kosher.
- Deposit: Time has been spent thinking, researching and planning how best to make your perfect your cake. Please do let me know if you decide not to order it. Once you place your order, a 50% non-refundable deposit is payable.
- Transportation: Cakes can be collected or delivered for a fee. If you plan to collect, the boot of your car is ideal because it is flat. I recommend that any cake 3 tiers or more should be delivered in order that I can assemble it at your venue and ensure there is no impact on it in transit.
- Storage: Please store your cake in the box it comes in, in a cool dry place. Usually your worktop is fine, as long as it is not in direct sunlight. Equally a cool cupboard or pantry is fine.
Lastly, if I do make your cake I have spent hours, days, sometimes weeks thinking about it and when I send it out into the world I don’t forget about it. Please let me know that you liked it. I really appreciate this so much! Thank you.